My Blog List

Tuesday, September 25, 2018

From the Slide To the Ground Life story

This is a story that comes to mind almost every year. I cannot just erase this one from my own childhood memories. We all have those memories from our childhood that are countless in number. However there is a certain number of memories which we latch on to.Some of the memories that I find myself latching onto are from the school Emmanuel Christian School. I keep wondering if it was spelled Immanuel Baptist Christian School as I grew up in the days after third grade. One would say I got into trouble many times there and was sent to the principal's office, and made to stand on a line for long periods. Those were cruel punishments according to kids in those days of the 90's unless you were smart about it and compared that to what your parents did.

On the playground were a lot of playground equipment for the after school care program. There was a slide closest to the building, a second one closest to the end to of the playground, some swings, merry ground around, monkey bars, sandbox, an arch to climb on, a climbing tower, and a basket ball court at the very end. As I recall there were other playground equipment that had to be replaced at some point. From Kindergarten to Third Grade I played on this playground with many of my friends only one of whom I am still in touch with to this day. One day I walked up to the tallest slide, which was red and made from metal. Some kids were scared others were not. I was hesitant, but went down the slide anyways. That day I decided to do something different that would seem dangerous for a kid to do. I climbed to the top of the slide then stood up and jumped from the top. With my arms and legs spread out and body exposed like a belly flop I landed on the earth. Nothing happened to me there were no bones broken nor did it hurt for some reason. I did it again only that time I screamed until I landed. Three more times I did this until a female teacher yelled at me to go down the slide properly. I heard laughter from all the older students who were way older than ten years old.

As an adult I understand what they thought of me. Some dumb kid who did not know how to use a slide properly. If you were to watch me you would say I was sky diving without a parachute? Well I am guilty of looking stupid for doing that. Immanuel must have thought there was something wrong with me. Was I a dumb kid or did I just come off as a stupid kid who did have a brain? It needs to be noted that I did not always think clearly before acting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment