My Blog List

Sunday, August 9, 2015

Dr. Lorelei


Dr. Lorelei

 

          I heard someone banging at the door, it was the Grevaskii. I grew scared and nervous. The Nazdar would surely kill me this time. The box and jars were filled with vaccines. I needed these vaccines because there was a virus going around the orphanage. The children were dying from the sickness four had already died from the terrible disease.

            The Grevaskii continued banging on the door as I scrambled to hide the items under the floor boards. The female attendants of the orphanage helped me. I scurried down the steps nearly tripping. If I did not soon the soldiers would surely blast the door open and kill everyone inside.

            “Open up in there!” an officer yelled. One of the maidens opened the door as soon as I had reached the bottom of the stairs.  

            “Can I help you gentlemen-“ She was shoved aside as the Grevaskii stormed in. She collapsed to the floor from the blow with the breath knocked out her. They left her gasping for air. Several maidens came to help her, but were stopped by the troops whom fixed their guns on the cowering women.

 

            “Where is Lorelei?” an officer demanded shoving his pistol in a maiden’s face.

            She was horrified. “I…I…I don’t know where he is. Please don’t hurt the children!” 

            “You lie!” the officer slapped the young girl, she whimpered from the pain. The young girl was only seventeen.

            “WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE?” A large woman came into the scene. “Get the fuck out of this home, you’re not welcome here! You disgusting vile pigs!” She spat on the officer’s uniform, showing no fear of their weapons.

 

The officer turned to her direction, and sneered. “What do ya want then? Mr. High ‘n’ Mighty, com’n in here ‘n’ threatening my maidens!”

            “Where is Mr. Lorelei?” He commanded.

            “OH, I don’t know and I don’t care. He’s too busy to be bothered, so you dumb shits get your asses of here!” she yelled shooing them away with her arms pointing towards the door angrily.

            I stood there in the dark watching, not daring to make a single movement. For fear that they’ll find and kill me. As Helga the keeper of the Orphanage kept fussing at the officer, more footsteps could be heard entering the building. They reached other parts of the Orphanage. I could hear furniture being tipped over, fine china, and kitchen ware smashing onto the floor. Drawers crashed on the floor as well. Helga tried to stop them, but the officer aimed his pistol and shot the good willed woman. Her heavy body fell with tremendous thud, which nearly made me bounce.

 

             Terrified yet angry I quietly crept back up the stairs. As I came up to my floor, the children were coming out of their rooms to see the commotion. I urged them back to their rooms. “Go back to bed children, there’s nothing to see here.” I said in whisper, shooing them off to bed with arm gestures.

            “What’s going on Dr. Lorelei?” asked a seven year old boy, named Vaucascus.

 

            His older brother Borthel smacked him across the head “Shut up you moron, they’ll come straight after us if you keep hollering.” He hissed into his brother’s ear.

            One of our younger caretakers came rushing to the boy’s defense. Her name was Fayne Dawnoake, once a famous actress until the theatre was shut down in the main city. She comforted Vaucascus scolding his brother. “YOU KNOW BETTER-“

 

            Before she could finish I clasped her mouth shut with my hand. “Quiet” I said in a whisper. “The Grevaskii are here and they’ve just killed Helga I think and now are destroying the place.”

 

            “No!!! Don’t say another word! Just send the children off to bed. I’ll see what I can do to stop them even if I get killed.” She did as I said and locked their doors. Now I had to act fast I rushed on my tiptoes to my room. There I searched for my hunting rifles and shotguns. As I gathered shells as quickly as possible, I heard someone enter the room. Twirling around I spotted my apprentice Etharic. The tall blonde lad stood in the door way.

            “Sir let me help you, please those men are ransacking the Orphanage.”

            I sighed, “I know, but you still have an entire career ahead of you. So just stay out of this fight. You are still too young to lose your own life. It is not your time, it will come just don’t make it now.”

 

            He stood there quietly as if he did not heed me he picked up a rifle and loaded the shells.

“What are you-?” I stared at him for a moment then grabbed him “Don’t do this!” We struggled wrestling each other.

 

            “But master I must , Who else will defend the children if you die. Another truck has arrived this time slavers. We must stop them!” I let go of him. Now I had to act otherwise the cruel slavers would take the children from the orphanage.

            “Alright” I said “just try not to get killed, Please!” I begged him. We were about exit the room when Etharic yelled “Master, look!”

 

            “What is it now?” I turned around to meet his eyes. He was pointing at the window.

            I looked out the window, it was dark outside. There was hardly anything to see in the dark except for the dark outline on the buildings close by plus the mountains in the background. I couldn’t figure out why Etharic wanted me to look out the window. Then flashes of light shot out everywhere across the mountains. The lights were bullets shooting out in all directions. There was clearly a battle going on over the mountains. The flash of bullets went about the mountains lighting the night sky. The fighting spread all over the mountains. The two armies fought for every inch of it.

            I soon came back to myself when I heard feet running up the stairs. It was definitely the slavers coming for the children. The two of us waited in ambush for the bastards. As they approached I jumped out of my hiding place and fired the shotgun. Two men fell dead. I went to the stairs killed another shoving him down the stairs. I came down fired another shot. Then a slaver wielding an assault rifle shot me. I fell down the stairs and passed out. Everything went dark, I became oblivious to all around me.

            I woke up in abed, I thought. Then realized I had been placed onto the couch. Sitting up was painful, looking around I saw the room was a mess everything broken on the floor. A soldier sat on a chair reading the paper, he was a Vestrisian trooper. He wore the blue uniform and blue helmet. I got up, he rushed to help me.

            “Shouldn’t you be resting?” He asked me and I looked at him

            “Are you a doctor?” I asked him.

            He shook his head no. I went by him, and out the door. There were bodies lined up on the streets. Vestrisian Union officers and Vestrisian troopers forced the Nazdar and slavers on their knees. The town now belonged to the Union Army. I watched as the soldiers began killing the prisoners. Officers shot their prisoners in the back of the head. One by one they were all executed. Some were hung off of trees left there to swing. Others were beaten to death. I was not at all bothered by the brutal scenery. The only thing that worried me were the children. It comforted me to know that the orphans and caretakers were safe and unharmed.

No comments:

Post a Comment