My Blog List

Sunday, November 19, 2017

Omnivore's Visit life

One summer my mother and I brought my grandmother up to our cabin in Little Switzerland. Not the country Switzerland, but and area in the Appalachian Mountains near Spruce Pine. It is within the counties McDowell, and Mitchell. I was only about seven or eight when we first began constructing this cabin. For much of my life I went up to this cabin with family, and I hope to come back one day with friends, girlfriend or a lover. Well on that summer day we had salmon for breakfast. It has been a  favorite dish of mine to have just about every season of the year. It was around ten or eleven in the morning some time after breakfast when I saw a black bear sitting in front of the screen door of the porch. Seeing a bear in the mountains came as no surprise, but to see one at your door step was a big one. For some reason we left the door open, and the screen door was closed. Not out of panic, but to point this out I mentioned there was a bear sitting at the foot of the screen door. Both my mother and grandma were all "well lookie there a black bear on our porch ha ha ha!" To them it seemed humorous to see a black bear on our porch. I did not know how long this bear had been sitting there. This black bear got up and climbed onto the porch railing. I watched with awe, and splendor as it moved around on the porch. Taking this chance I took two photos of it with my phone that I hope to share with anyone I tell this story to.


Apparently the scent of the salmon must have drawn it towards our cabin leading it to the porch. As I watched this bear wander the porch it went for the humming bird feeder. It licked up the water that was in it. My grandmother watched for a while until she decided to call the wildlife control to get it off the porch. In my mind it seemed unnecessary and it ended up being just that. This black bear eventually got down and left the cabin. Seeing nature like this should always be a good experience as long as you are inside and the wild animals are outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment